Pages

Popular Posts

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Question Their Authority

Always question the authority or legitimacy of anything you see. I love calculators that tell me how much I should save for retirement and calculators that will help me do away with debt. However, keep in mind that certain factors are assumed in most calculators that are not solely based on math.

For example, the ING retirement calculator tells me I will need $1,000 per month if I want to travel internationally. To me, this seems insane. However, I can always find a deal and maybe some people cannot. Who knows, maybe my standards of living will raise this much when I am in retirement. However, I doubt it. There is always a better way to spend money or give money away than five star hotels.

Also, note that ING and other companies want your money in their accounts because this is how they make money. Maybe they are overestimating the total needed for retirement because they want more of your money. There is such a thing as saving too much for retirement. When you are currently not enjoying life because you are socking 40% of your income into retirement, the situation has gone too far.

Therefore, always think about where your financial knowledge comes from and what is the objective of your source.

No comments:

Post a Comment