Pages

Popular Posts

Friday, July 8, 2011

Double Check Everyone's Math

If you owe anyone money: student loans, a mortgage, etc., then make sure that their math is correct. I've calculated my government student loan payment recently and found that it is incorrectly calculated. I am paying more in interest every month then I should be according to all the amortization calculators that I was able to run.

After writing them an email, they responded by lowering my payment by $1.50 per month, we will see how they will calculate interest this month. However, it is hard to argue what they are charging because, unlike Sallie Mae, the DLS Website does not calculate daily interest and the outstanding interest is always the same throughout the month and is around $10, while it should be around $70.

My Sallie Mae payment is also incorrect due to pre-payments, but at least they are calculating the daily interest correctly, therefore, I don't mind paying a few dollars extra a month. However, if you are having trouble repaying your loans, every dollar counts, therefore, do the math.

No comments:

Post a Comment