Pages

Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pay Yourself First First, No Really

Every personal finance adviser out there says to pay yourself first. There are websites dedicated to the concept. However, many of us still don't do this simplest thing. For the longest time, I figured I was disciplined enough not to have to do this. However, since I've started a couple of month ago, it has done wonders.

Paying yourself first is as simple as setting up a new savings account (if you don't have one yet) and setting up automatic transfers of at least 15% of your take home pay. It sounds so simple, but paying yourself first lets you see the money that you have left over.

Since I am saving for a couple of things right now, I have one slush fund for the 15% savings and then I distribute from there to other savings accounts based on what I feel I want to accomplish first.

This 15% is the starting point for my savings. I also contribute 4% of gross pay to a 401K and I always end up transferring more out of my checking and into my savings. However, keeping the funds separate and having the automatic savings plan of at least 15% going into my slush fund, helps keep me on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment