Pages

Popular Posts

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Flexibility

Setting financial goals is the best way to achieve what you want in your financial life, however, you must also be flexible.

Recently, I had to raid my emergency fund for a non-emergency purpose: advanced rent of 6 months. However, because I was willing to raid my emergency fund, I believe I received a better deal from my landlord.

Also recently, I made the mathematical calculation to see if it was better to pay off my private loan aggressively or to take it slow now because I am still paying capitalized interest which counts principal and interest as interest payments for tax deduction purposes. My goal was to pay the loan down aggressively, however, after doing the math, it did not make sense until the capitalized interest was paid off.

Therefore, it is always best to be flexible if it benefits you in the long run.

My financial goals are now the following:

  1. Continue to contribute up to the match to my 401(k) (4% of gross salary)
  2. Make my emergency fund what it was before
  3. Contribute 11% of my gross salary to my Roth IRA
  4. Then think about saving extra for increased student loan payments in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment