Pages

Popular Posts

Friday, May 20, 2011

Financial Clean-Up

If you haven't done so already, now is a great time to get your finances in order. Taxes are done; it's a fresh financial year. Now is a good time to start making folders for 2011 taxes: one for receipts, one for paycheck stubs, one for interest payments you make on your mortgage or student loans, etc.

If you start organizing now, taxes will be a breeze in April, or maybe you will be so organized that you can do your taxes in January and get it over with.

Now is also a good time to make some long and short term financial goals.

Here are mine:

  1. Continue to contribute 15% towards retirement through 401(k) and IRA
  2. Pay extra on my student loans, but just enough extra that I only pay $2,500 in interest in 2011
  3. Have an emergency fund of 6 months that I don't have to touch because I have enough in checking as well (recently I pulled some money out because I had a family medical emergency, a car accident, and I want to prepay some rent to negotiate the rent down)
  4. Start saving money on the side to pay off my private student loan in 2013 (as discussed in a previous post, my whole payment is currently interest because I am only paying capitalized interest and after doing some math, it works out better if I only pay $2,500/per year in interest for the tax deduction and then pay off my loan in full in 2013, when I won't be able to rack up the $2,500 in student interest payments for the tax deduction) - I would like to see $3,000 in this account by Dec 31st, 2011
  5. Get a raise of around 13% from my current salary by April 2012 - currently supposed to get a raise at the end of May and then again in April
  6. And of course, be able to take all my vacation days by going somewhere, buy Christmas presents for the family, and spoil my nephew-to-be

No comments:

Post a Comment