Pages

Popular Posts

Monday, February 14, 2011

Prioritizing Savings

If you have limited resources, you need to prioritize your savings. As discussed in the previous post, there are lots of goals you can make, but how to choose which one is more important? Here is my list:

  1. build $1,000 or 3 month emergency fund (based on your gut feeling)
  2. maximize your 401(k) up to the company match
  3. pay off toxic debt such as credit cards or anything higher than an 8% interest rate (car, private student loans)
  4. build an 8 months emergency fund
  5. max out your Roth IRA
  6. pay down any other debt
  7. build an emergency fund of 1 year of expenses
  8. invest/save for a down payment/wedding/etc.

I'm on step 4. I raided my emergency fund to put $2,000 in a Roth IRA to get the IRS credit, so I am back down to 4 months of expenses, which I can bring back up to 6 in April. Once I have 6 months, I think I will split my extra money between building an 8 month emergency fund and paying down a private student loan currently at 6.25% until I have full 8 months of an emergency fund. After my emergency savings account is fully funded, then I will pay off the student loan fully while still contributing to the IRA account so that my retirement contributions are at least $2K per year while I qualify for the retirement savings credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment